Mission Statement

To train boys and girls to love and serve Jesus Christ
through home delivered, kindergarten thru high school educational programs

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How Do We Share Christ With Our Children?

Hi Anchor Families, I just wanted to share this guest post from a friend. I found it full of encouragement as well as practicle ideas as we try to "train boys and girls to love and serve the Lord, Jesus Christ."

A  mom of four young children, pulled fresh blueberry muffins from the oven and handed me a cup of amazing coffee. Settling into her sofa we caught up on life and then dove into the question that initiated our ‘coffee’ talk. I had about a week to think about the question she asked me, and even as we started talking I felt waves of insecurity rise within me. Her question had been quite simple, yet deep.
“Doris” she facebooked “I was wondering if you had some ideas on how to bring Christ and spirituality more into my children’s lives?”
Yup…waves of inadequacy. Did I do enough with my children when they were younger? Did I instill in them a love for God and knowledge of his word that would see them through their teen years and university education? Would my children walk with God throughout their lives?
I was pregnant with my first child when I was hit with the realization that not only was I bringing a child into this world… I was also bringing a soul into eternity. Waves of fear submerged me…what if this child rejected God…what if a child of mine rebelled against their Creator?
I have always tried to be intentional in teaching my children about God. Over the years we did it in different ways and at different times of the day. But before this mom and I talked about these practical ideas I wanted to address the foundation. As I grow my children spiritually I have to be solid in what I believe and I need to be practicing my faith. I must be intentionally growing in my spiritual life while I am investing in my children’s.
It is kinda like the blueberry muffin recipe that I copied out before I left her place. Most of the ingredients are put into the main body of the muffins, but one-half cup of the dry mixture is saved to sprinkle on top. The topping only reveals what was is in the core. We have to make sure that we are putting the bulk of the spiritual intentionality into our own lives, and then saving some to share with our kids. We ‘sprinkle’ into their lives what is at the core of our lives.
Waves of fear and inadequacy are replaced with waves of grace.  Romans 9 says that it is God’s mercy that draws us to him. In understanding the attributes of God, we see that he is faithful. Our amazing God who reveals himself to us can also reveal himself to our children. We just get to help set the stage.
This can include:
- Regular prayer time at meals, before bed and maybe even in the car before you head out of the garage. Definitely let your family experience prayer when there is crisis. Let them see you turning to God for needs.
- Regular Bible reading times.
· When the children were younger we read bible stories as part of our bedtime rituals.
· As they got older we read after the supper meal
· Now, we try to read at breakfast before they head off to school.
- At one stage we had evening family time (after they were in p.j.’s). Sometimes I’d pull out the guitar and we sang camp songs and other times we learned memory verses by putting our own actions to them. Even before my son could read, he had Psalm 1 memorized… complete with actions. We always tried to keep these times fun and entertaining.
And then there are the ‘talk-as-we-walk-through-life’ training times (Deut 6). I’d ask God to reveal himself in ways that I can point out to the children, enabling God’s truth to be brought into conversations and situations. He will do it… we just need to ask and then watch to see him ‘show up’ all around us.
- Seeing beauty in nature reflecting God
- Recognizing God’s provision in our lives
- Recounting answered prayers
- Letting our children see us live moral lives sustained with integrity
- Demonstrating God through love and discipline
Really, each day is loaded with opportunities to implement spiritual perspectives. Inadequacies are countered by filling up on God’s grace each day and counting in His faithfulness. I still have more years to pour into my children. I’m glad I started when they were young, but I want to have a lifetime of bringing Christ into my children’s lives. And then someday…I hope to influence my grandchildren!
And maybe, I’ll even pass on the blueberry muffin recipe.
~Doris Born~